Friday 10 October 2014

Batik - Wax & Ink

The next experimental piece I had a go at was using the Batik keetle to drip wax onto card and after drying, then painting over it with black ink. To create this sort of ink floating on water effect. Once both the wax and ink had dried, I removed the wax my putting the piece in-between newspaper and then ironing over the whole thing to melt off the wax but leaving the design still on the card.
























Having made 2 sheets of wax on card, I ironed one and then cut it up in a diagonal way and then stuck it down in my sketch book partly over black card to show off the different effects layer up this batik styled piece can have. For example as seen above having iron off the fax it has almost made the piece see-through and lets the black card almost shine through the piece, darkening it. The 2nd piece I made, As seen on the right I left un-ironed. So the wax is still think on the page and bulging up front he page. This gives a different effect to the ironed, as the wax hasn't been melted away so the piece is still thick and raised from it, giving the piece almost a sense of depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment