Wednesday 19 November 2014

3D Final Concept - Glass Work

After completing a set of Design sheets, my next step was to look back at these ideas and develop the ones I liked the most and what i thought would work the best into a final piece. At this stage I know i wanted to work in either clay or glass so I started to tailor my designs with one of those directions in mind.


In the end, I ended up with 5 designs I felt would work and while drawing these out I came to the conclusion i wanted to work with colour in my piece so inturn turned my mind to a more solid glass piece. So stopping with my final piece for the moment I went and did a quick test with a few glass layered glass pieces to see what sort of effect the end piece would look like.

I did this, as first i wanted to see what the coloured glass would look like when layered in between to clear pieces. The main reason for this was out of my final designed I really like my bottom left piece. Which didn't just include crushed glass and clear, but also wire to help with the forming of a coloured pattern. After solidifying my idea, I went back to the Glass room and started on collecting the scrap glass I needed to work on this piece.















I decided instead of adding a mould to curve my piece, I'd just leave the piece flat. This was mainly down to the fact I didn't want the crush glass to have a chance to move even if just a little bit, for the fact the design could be lost if that happened.
As well as that, i decided on using bits of cut glass leaving space between each for the top layered, instead of one solid piece which i used in my test. I wanted to try this out as I feel it would give a more ridged effect to my piece making it more interesting to look at. This come into my mind when I was thinking whether or not I could set the piece on a mould.












Not the best photo, but this is my final piece after spending its time being in the kiln and I am very happy with the way it came out. The glass on the top most layer moved a little bit from being perfectly straight with the back piece but I much prefer this effect as It gives the piece more characteristics which I didn't even think to give it. I really like the way the shattered glass isn't the same in each space too. I think this will be down to not being anal about putting in the exactly same amount into each space. Overall I am very happy with this piece and have learnt a lot while working with glass. I know it will be hard to try and recreate this effect as well there are a lot of variables working in glass but that adds to its charm I think. I'll definitely come back to glass work again later down the line and try out some more experiments and tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment