Sunday 7 December 2014

Graphics: Making Textures From Fabric

Following my work in Illustrator and using Textures found on the Internet. The next thing that I did was to go into the fashion studios and steal all their fabrics to create a bunch of different textures using a bunch of techniques I learnt in my pathway stage such as Weaving and different ones such as making fake furs and wrapping yarns around cardboard.


Wrapping fabrics around card.


Layering of Fabrics and crisscross patterns.




Making of PomPoms                                                          Fake Fur sewn onto fabric



Weaving.

All of these will make for some interesting textures once captured with a camera. The close up shots then edited in photoshop will turn out really nicely I feel.
These first few textures focused very much of soft and loose styles, next I moved onto using heat over fabric to make more shiny and raw textures.













Using a soldering iron I cut around a star shaped biscuit cutter to cut through layered fabrics to make shapes.

Using Shibori techniques I elastic banded pasta and coins into man made materials and then used a head gun to form the fabrics around such shapes to give off this effect.



I used the same Shibori techniques on plastic as well to see what sort of effects could be had. As well as using a heat gun to make lines into the plastic to cause different effects.


Lastly combining the Shibori with the Soldering iron to add even more detail and texture into these piece.

 Once these textural piece are photographed and converted they'll turn into a very useful set of digital textures and photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment